Your heart is racing almost as fast as the current feels. There was a moment there when you actually thought you might have to use that kayak rolling technique you’ve been practicing. While your head is still regaining its equilibrium and the excitement begins to lull – you realize you are thirsty, very thirsty.
If you aren’t prepared, then stop at the nearest water fountain or convenience store…oh, that’s right you are a million miles from anywhere! You see where this is going, right? Be prepared, plan ahead and be smart. Water has a great deal to do with that smart planning and preparation. That means getting the right water filtration bottle for your next adventure.
What are Water Filtration Bottles?
Water filtration bottles can provide you with clean and refreshing water by helping to reduce any chlorine taste you might experience without a filter, along with the odor you may expect from water that is coming right from the tap. Water filtration bottles are also an affordable alternative to having to buy filtered drinking water that has already been bottled, which will end up costing you a lot more in the long run.
How Do Water Filtration Bottles Work?
Water filtration bottles are equipped with filters so that when the water in the bottle passes through a carbon filter, the chlorine and other contaminants are removed from the water. This means that you can fill your water filtration bottles with ordinary tap water and rest assured that you will be supplied with clean and refreshing drinking water that won’t cost you an arm and a leg over time as bottled water would.
Advantages of Water Filtration Bottles
Since filtered water bottles come equipped with their very own filter, you will be able to use regular tap water. Doing so will save you money because you will no longer have to purchase plastic bottles of water, and even with the money you will save, you are also offered convenience because the tap water is always readily available, so you aren’t worried about running out and having to go to the store for the bottled drinking water.
There are also many designs for water filtration bottles available today which means you can find smaller and narrower designs that can fit well in a backpack, or you can choose a larger design that can even last you the entire day with minimal refills.
Filtered water bottles also come with far less impact on the environment because they are reusable, unlike the plastic bottles you purchase in the store. You are saving the landfill from all of the plastic bottles, as well as saving on the energy it takes to deliver and store the bottles before they can actually be sold. Therefore, water filtration bottles are the more environmentally friendly option. These water filtration bottles are also BPA-free plastic.
We are always here to help and for your convenience we have compiled a list of the 10 best water filtration bottles. Drink well, safe kayaking and read on…
1. LifeStraw Go Water Bottle with Integrated 1,000 Liter LifeStraw Filter
- Meets US EPA drinking water standards
- Sturdy and ultralight: weighs only 5.9 ounces (168 grams)
- Portable: only 9.25″ (235 mm) long and 3.14″ (80 mm) in diameter
- Features a flip-top mouthpiece and carabineer for attaching to your backpack
- Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
- Storage volume: 22 ounces / 0.65 liters
- BPA Free and contains no chemicals
- Raw materials meet US Food and Drug Administration regulations and standards
- No aftertaste: LifeStraw doesn’t use iodine or iodinated resin chemicals
2. Thermos NSF/ANSI 53 Certified 22 Ounce Tritan Water Filtration Bottle
Providing safe and clean drinking water is exactly what the Tritan Water Filtration Bottleoffers. With a focus on reliability and convenience, these water filtration bottles are easily portable. Some more important highlights and features of this water bottle are:
- NSF/ANSI 42 & 53 Certified to reduce certain contaminants, tastes and odor from water
- Innovative gravity fed filtration method ensures contaminants will not bypass filter by force
- Filter lasts for approximately 20 gallons or 128 full bottles
- Open spout allows for great flow rate with no forceful sucking or squeezing required
- Made from BPA-free, impact resistant Eastman Tritan™ copolyester material
- Hygienic, push button lid with one-handed operation locking ring and integrated carrying loop
3. OKO H2O Level-2 Advanced Filtration Water Bottle
All water bottles are not created equal. Some are just better, like those on this list, including the Advanced Filtration Water Bottle from OKO. These are definitely a cut above when it comes to water bottles and high-quality features as evidenced by details like these:
- Use only BPA-Free, Phthalate-free non toxic plastic
- Advanced Level-2 filter with NASA nano-technology as used in the ISS (International Space Station)
- Reduce your carbon footprint by as much as 98%
- Three filtration levels gives you confidence in knowing that serious contaminants are being removed from your water
4. Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
Fortunately, as you can see, there are some excellent choices when it comes to selecting the best water bottle for your adventure. The Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System is no exception as these benefits suggest:
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
- The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera, leptospirosis, and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
- High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)
- Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread), hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source
5. Brita Filtered Water Bottle
Brita isn’t a new face on the scene, being a name synonymous with quality since 1966, Brita is a very well-known brand and even a household brand. In fact, Brita makes another appearance on our list with their Sport Water Filter Bottle. If reliability and a proven product history is what you’re looking for, then look no farther. Some noteworthy considerations for Brita products include:
- For over 25 years, the scientists at Brita have worked to give you healthier, great-tasting water
- Filters and containers are BPA-free and remove contaminants and unpleasant odors
- System tested and certified by the WQA (Water Quality Association)
6. Woder 24-Sur Survival Water Filter Bottle
- NO odor, mercury, Chlorine, Contaminants, lead, heavy metals, volatile organic compounds, leaks, OR toxic TTHMs and VOCs. No bad tastes!
- Exceeds industry standards of both ANSI and NSF
- Woder Filters are class 1 premium quality
- Drop-In Survival Water Filter (IONIC Adsorption Micron Filtration system)
- Filter removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s), PCB’s, trihalomethanes, synthetic organic compounds (SOC’s) and more
- The Survival formula is tested to the EPA Protocol for Microbiological Purifiers by the University of Arizona and by Spectrum Labs
7. Brita Sport Water Filter Bottle
Here we have one more quality product from the well-known and trusted Brita Brand. Brita makes a variety of sports water bottles and they make one filter to fit them all! How about that for convenience, in addition, the Brita name and their reputation for quality? A few of the common features for Brita filters and bottles include:
- 40 gal. filter life
- No pre-soak
- Filter out odors and impurities which results in a great clean taste
- BPA free
8. GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
Speaking of lightweight and portable, the GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle is precisely that. Delivering refreshing and clean water that has grabbed the attention of people everywhere because of their award-winning process, they boast of these accolades as well as these premium benefits:
- Fast and easy to use
- Purify water in 15 seconds
- Protection against pathogens (viruses, bacteria, protozoa), particulates, chemicals and heavy metals
- Does not require batteries, UV bulbs, chemicals, pumping, sucking, squeezing or prolonged waiting
9. FIT Water Bottle
The verdict may still be out on this one but so far so good. This bottle actually filters the water as it is poured into the bottle, not what you would expect. We are going to suggest this one as an experimental water filtration bottle, yet it may be well worth the test drive. The notable points to this water bottle are:
- The FIT technology (Filter Isolation Technology)
- Since water is filtered going into the bottle it is ideal for flavored mixes, etc.
- High-quality coconut-based activated carbon media
- Unlike other filters that are continuously saturated, our Filter Isolation Technology allows ours to dry and “recharge” between uses.
10. CamelBak Water Filtration Bottle
- Made of durable BPA-free plastic
- Easy to clean
- Plant-based filtration system that is NSF-certified to reduce odor and chlorine from up to 48 gallons of water
- A lifetime BakTM warranty for defects
A Final Note
Water is an essential element to life for anyone who breathes oxygen, therefore having clean and safe water is priority one. With that in mind, we would like to make one suggestion – always carry two. For those of you who are familiar or like one of these bottles on the list, get a couple. If you haven’t yet explored using a filtration water bottle, perhaps try a couple of different ones to see which one is most convenient for you and works best for your needs.
It doesn’t matter if you are planning a two-week excursion up the side of a mountain or a kayaking trip along some ravenous waters in some uncharted part of the world – take two. Accidents are never planned, bottles break or get lost…Always be prepared, that means staying hydrated.
If any of these products caught your eye, click on the links to learn more (you’re welcome). Here is to your next adventure – and your healthy hydration.