Hi All---I'm stuck in the process of deciding on a boat with a unique set of requirements as follows:
1. My top price limit is $1200, max (and I'd rather stay under $1k)
2. I'm a big guy---in good shape, but muscular (6 feet 220lbs)
3. I want a boat for BOTH daily fitness paddles and single-day/multi-day trips
4. I want a boat that can be left outside (e.g. stored at a marina)
5. I'm an experienced paddler, so need relatively good performance.
6. I'll paddle on a wide, flat river most of the time...but am capable of (and want) to paddle in the open ocean a few times a year too.
At the moment (though this could change) I'm waffling between two options: a less expensive plastic boat like the Perception Expression, Dagger Alchemy, and Perception Sport Rhythm 14...on the logic that they can handle more abuse and might be less prone to UV damage being left outside...
...versus a second-hand glass/composite boat. For example, I've found a 2001 Perception Eclipse/Sea Lion composite (17') for sale for $1250 that's in mint condition.
You might think the Eclipse/Sea Lion would be the way to go---far better, faster boat than the cheaper plastic boats...except...I'm not crazy about keeping a beautiful boat like that outside at the marina.
One thing that crossed my mind is trying to jury-rig (e.g. a tarp) or buy some kind of cover for the Sea Lion that I could put on it when not in use (just to protect it somewhat from UV and other exposure-related damage).
Are there any other good options I've missed?