A buddy and I are planning to do a sea kayak camping trip (~7 days) in Norway in July 2012.
We will be coming from Hawaii (LONG trip) and this will be our first paddling trip in Northern Europe. We have lots of experience in canoe camping and paddling, just not in Europe.
We are looking for someone with 1st hand local knowledge to answer some questions for us.
We are considering the Gudvangen to Solvorn route, (Aurlandsfjord and the Naroyfjord area) but are most definately open to other suggestions.
We want to go unguided, ~7 days. Our style is fairly leasurely. We prefer to paddle in the most natural areas possible. The fewer people/roads/towns the better. We prefer sheltered calm water routes whenever possible.
1. Boat rental : we are considering renting boat(s) from Njord in Flam. Anyone have 1st hand experience with them?
2. Open Boats? We do have the option of using a "Pakboat" canoe that we could bring from home. Would this folding open canoe be a bad decision for that route/area?
3. Where can we get good maps for paddling that area?
4. Are there maps with campsites marked on them? or perhaps databases of GPS locations for good campsites?
5. Are there any rules about human waste in that area? Bury it? pack it out? or perhaps it's like the boundary waters in Minnesota with primative "facilities" provided at the campsites?
6. What do you do about fresh water? Are there springs? or do you have to pack it in?
It would be great to chat with someone who has actually been there and done that.
PJ in Hawaii