I'm new to kayaking (but love it so far), and live in the SF Bay Area. I figure that it's a good idea to build a relationship with a great local shop for equipment, classes, tours, and general advice.
I've done a little research, and it seems like we're a bit spoiled here in the Bay Area, with a bunch of allegedly awesome shops to choose from:Aquan Sports
- San CarlosCalifornia Canoe & Kayak
- Oakland Kayak Connection
- Santa Cruz & Moss LandingMonterey Kayak
- Monterey & Moss Landing Blue Waters
- Inverness & Marshall (Tomales Bay)Eskape
- Santa Cruz (classes, tours & rentals only, I think)Sea Trek
- Sausalito (also classes/tours/rentals only, I think)
And, of course, we also have about ten local REIs that sell kayaks ... but I've been kinda unimpressed with both their in-store kayak selection and staff knowledge of kayaks. Bummer. =\
Any Bay Area folks around here? What do you think of the shops listed above? Not just for retail, but also for classes and tours too. And are there any utterly fantastic, full-service shops that I didn't list?
Any and all information, direct experience, and blatant opinion welcomed.